- Follow the lighting instructions until you achieve temperatures above your target cooking temperature.
- Once this has been reached, allow the wood to burn to embers and the temperature to drop to your desired heat.
- Using an ember rake or brass brush spread the embers along the back of the oven for a more uniformed heat and close the damper.
- Keep the door slightly ajar to maintain the temperature inside the oven as the wood burns down.
- Once ready, place the oven proof dish inside the oven and replace the door.
Tip: If the oven cools throughout the cook, use small pieces of wood or kindling to restore the temperatures – opening the damper to allow the wood to burn fully before closing again.